Moving alone by choosing to hire a firm remains the solution most popular with the French. Find out how to optimize the effectiveness and above all the efficiency of this choice, by following some simple and easy-to-implement tips.
Moving alone, a decision with serious consequences to mature well
Recent FIFG studies highlight that while 1/3 of French people plan to entrust their next move to a specialist company, only 20% actually take the plunge. In other words, 4 out of 5 moves are organized without using a company. So you have to take care of everything, from the administrative procedures essential to this change of life to the handling and transport of your furniture and objects.
The utility rental is therefore often essential as an essential step, if you do not have a van or a truck, which those around you could make available. This is one of the first steps you should take quickly to ensure the availability of the van or truck you need.
Finding the most suitable moving vehicle hire at the best price in 3 steps
1. Define the type of commercial vehicle to be rented
Renting a moving truck starts with clearly defining the type of utility vehicle you need. You can use a volume calculator from our utility rental partner to know in a few clicks which van to choose. To help you in your choice, find below the main characteristics of the utilities available for rental.
2. Decide on duration, mileage and options
Once you have chosen the vehicle, you must first determine the necessary mileage. Sufficient leeway must then be provided, because any kilometer traveled beyond the chosen mileage is charged at full price. Depending on this mileage, you can then decide on the duration of the utility rental. From a few hours to several days, anything is possible. Finally, you will need to make a decision about the options offered by all commercial vehicle rental companies. We can’t list them all for you, but let’s list the main ones:
- The “moving assistance” options: it may be a matter of choosing a 20 m3 vehicle with a tailgate, for example for transporting very heavy or very bulky objects, or the choice of having a GPS to facilitate you the task when traveling.
- The options for renting a utility vehicle with complete peace of mind: You can then opt for the designation of a second driver, or choose the Franchise buyback option (upon payment of a premium, the deductible amount is then reduced to the strict minimum. minimum).
- Utility rental with one-way option: This option allows you to return your van to the branch closest to your new home. It therefore allows you to dispense with a return trip, reducing the amount of the invoice to pay (fewer kilometers and a reduced rental period).
3. Compare to rent a utility under the best conditions
You must then compare the offers that meet your criteria and choose the one that gives you the best service / price or quality / price ratio. You will therefore have to compare the offers from companies specializing in vehicle rental but also those issued by mass distribution players. You may also prefer utility rental between individuals. All of these offers should be carefully analyzed to make sure you choose the most attractive. It’s a time-consuming task, even though the preparations for the move are already taking up all of your time. You can, however, save time (by comparing all available offers) and be more efficient (be sure to find the cheapest utility rental deal) by using a utility rental comparator.
Rent a utility with peace of mind to move like a professional
When the day comes, you will take possession of this utility rental, so finally make sure everything is organized. Your friends or relatives, whom you have recruited for the occasion, should be present at the appointed time, so as not to waste time. On your side, always take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with this truck, which you are going to have to drive. This is in no way wasted time, since by getting used to its size and handling, you will avoid many incidents during the various journeys.
Finally, equip yourself to be able to move in the best conditions. Blankets to protect the most fragile pieces of furniture, straps to secure your belongings and a first aid kit to deal with all the “sores” of the move.